What do James Cameron, plastic- eating fungi and giant proton guns have in common? Nope– it’s not this summer’s blockbuster sci-fi film– it’s just another humble addition of the Monday Link Review, your weekly roundup of #weirdscience updates.
Here’s Last Week’s 5 Strangest Links:
5. Massive Eruptions on the Sun. Recent solar eruptions unleashed enough energy in the Earth’s upper atmosphere to power every residence in NYC for two years.
4. A Proton Gun for Killing Tumors. Proton therapy, laser precision.
3. Strange Clouds Over Mars. What the heck is going on with these mysterious clouds? Theories are brewing…
2. James Cameron Reaches the Mariana Trench. As of 2 am today, the filmmaker reached the ocean’s deepest point. He touched down at 35,756 feet (10,898 meters).
1. Plastic Eating Fungi Could Solve Landfill Problems. Plastic-eating fungi from the Amazon could be a vital part of a greener tomorrow.
From Our #2 Story: James Cameron Travels to the Ocean’s Deepest Point! Photo by Mark Thiessen, National Geographic.